Monday, November 2, 2009

November Days

So Halloween came and went. We had fewer trick-or-treaters this year than we did last year, but still a good turnout. We ended up with about 75-80 kids. As always, they were adorable. There was a family dressed up as the Incredibles, which may have been my favorite costume of the night. There were, however, a large (somewhat disturbing) number of tweens and teens who were not dressed up at all. Not a mask or painted face to be seen. I chalked it up to the economy. Why spend $20 on a costume when you could buy, what? 8,000 packs of ramen noodles with that kinda cash?

Next up...Thanksgiving! Stay tuned for what will no doubt be the beginning of the long and harrowing journey known as The Holidays. Drink your coffee!

On a more serious note, my sister's surgery went worse than planned. So, thanks to the assistance of my way too kind and forgiving boss, my work schedule has been cleared and I spent today helping my sister in all the ways that no human being ever really wants to be helped. Suffice it say that one never realizes how important a knee can be until it is gone...or in this case, immobile. I'll be there through Thursday, at which point we are hoping that she'll be able to make it through a day on her own. After spending time with her today, I'm somewhat optimistic that she'll be okay by herself on Friday.

The silver lining in this armpit of a situation is that I will get to spend more time with my sister than I have in about two years. We used to spend inordinate amounts of time together, to the point that our respective spouses wondered what in the world was left to talk about. What can I say? We speak each other's brand of crazy.

Other than that though, totally unfun. But she's my family and she's probably my best friend. And I love her. And I'll gladly help her stand up, and make her lunch, and help her do her painful knee exercises, and look at her stitches and staples all week if it means I can make her laugh through the pain.

I know she'd do the same for me.

No comments: