Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Turkey Day

So tired...Thanksgiving went well. I'll relate it to you all in another post. For now, I'm going to bed. Here's a post I wrote on Tuesday but forgot to publish.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!


Thanksgiving is but a few days away! Never in my life have I had such a humongous turkey in my refrigerator. Or really any turkey, for that matter. Brian refers to it as "Birdzilla." I'm more than just a little worried about roasting the thing. Last year I roasted a turkey breast for just the two of us, but that in no way compares to this 20ish pound behemoth that is currently taking up an entire shelf of space in my fridge.

My fear is that I won't cook it right and, come lunchtime, I'll have 20-30 hungry people on my hand just waiting to mock me for my stupidity. Worse things have happened, I suppose.

Like giving those same people a food borne illness. Hmm...I'm sensing a dry, but thoroughly cooked bird in my future.

Honestly, I don't really have that much to say right now. My brain is so preoccupied with Thanksgiving preparations that I fail to notice much else.

I find it somewhat disturbing that Christmas is just around the corner. Even more disturbing to realize that our Christmas tree will be up by the end of the day Friday. Seriously?

Yes, seriously. Every year we put up the tree on the day after Thanksgiving. It's the official start of the Christmas season, in my book. Also the official start of me realizing I have 90% of my shopping to finish. E-gad.

I am super excited about two of my Christmas finds though. I haven't decided who they'll go to yet, so I can't tell you about them. But suffice it to say YOU ARE LUCKY, RECIPIENT. Whoever you may be.

Just yesterday Brian and I went to purchase our annual tree ornament. Normally, we do this much earlier in the month. This year time got away from us so we had to do it quickly. I imagine this weekend we'll go out and find another one with a bit more flair. But, we simply had to have a new one before we put up the tree. It's tradition.

We started buying ornaments our first Christmas together, when we realized that between the two of us we had the equivalent of a Q-tip and tinsel with which to decorate our tree. So, ever since then we've gone out a week or so before we put up the tree and each picked out an ornament to take home. Over the years we have purchased such fine ornaments as: a glass pickle, an anthropomorphic hot pepper wearing a cowboy hat and twirling a lasso, a football-bodied snowman, and this year's crowning glory--a tiny wooden hedgehog.

We promptly named him Jeremy and welcomed him to our family. I'll be sure to place him far away from that hot pepper. If I remember correctly, that pepper also has a gun.

No comments: