Friday, December 11, 2009

And now, an open letter to Starbucks:


Dear Starbucks,

I've been watching you for some time now. You may not have noticed me, I come and go so quickly through your always speedy and cheerful drive-thru. At first, it was all too innocent. I'd stop by and get a mocha, chilled or hot depending on the season. I could go weeks, nay, months without a sip of your delicious beverages with nary a whisper of discontent.

But that all changed when you began enticing me with your flavored lattes.

First, it was the pumpkin spice. Had I ever known true happiness before that first drink? I can't remember now--it's all caught up in a spicy haze. What is that? Cloves? Nutmeg? The essence of pure bliss?

And oh my, the whipped cream. You are incorrigible.

I had to have another. And another. And before I knew it, you pulled the rug out from under me. You took away that which I held closest to my coffee-laden heart. I feared it would be the end of our relationship. I just couldn't go on.

Oh, sure. I went back to the mocha. But it never really understood me. Not like pumpkin spice. It was simply a means to an end. A way to stay alert and warm on cold winter days. I was deep in grief.

Do you remember the time I was so tired I forgot to specify that I wanted a mocha latte? I know, I promised not to bring it up again. It's just that it hurt like so much coffee milk.

I knew you would sense this. You always know what will cheer me up. Thus, the Caramel Brulee Latte.

Until that moment I never knew how much you cared.

I know there are others. I see that girl sneaking out the door with a red cup. I know your heart is too big for just one person. I forgive you your humanitarian nature. For they need you as much as I do. After all, I will always have Del Taco. You understand, don't you?

Of course you do.

And so it is, my dear Starbucks. Ours is a love to be shared with the whole world. Let us sing it from the rooftops! The world needs to understand what it means to be truly loved. I entrust this task to your mighty coffee beans. You never let me down.

Always yours,

Rachael

No comments: