Friday, May 9, 2008

A time for writing

Well boys and girls, welcome to my blog. Some of you may be wondering, "What is the topic of this blog," or "What words of wisdom might you impart to the world, considering you spend most of your time indoors, amongst the strange and bookish?" To these people I say, "Absolutely nothing." I might also add a "Geez, harsh."

But no, no topic to speak of. I'm just really, really, really bad at communicating. So, naturally, like all people who are bad at conversation with actual human beings, I enjoy writing. It's like having a conversation, only more sad, lonely and without anyone getting in the way of my genius. Or something along those lines.

Also, on a more realistic note, there is absolutely no way this blog will repeatedly go to voicemail, allowing the concerns and questions of good hearted people to go unheeded week after week. At least this way, people will know I'm alive. Inconsiderate, but alive.

So there you go. My vast thoughts on the universe. Well, the universe of writing, or blogs, or whatever noun you so choose.

Now, a tale.

In recent days, I was conversing with a teenager who is nearing voting age (no, it is not weird to be talking to a teenager. Everyone needs a role model. You weirdo.) He is smart, well-spoken, and in the top of his class. A real go-getter. I took a shine to him when I realized he was going places, and maybe someday he'd thank me in the dedication of a book.

Things got around to politics. Being a fledgling in the political arena myself, I felt the two of us were an even match for debate. He is pro-Clinton and, for the purposes of the debate and as devil's advocate, I took the stance for Obama. The teenager was really defending his candidate. I countered, and all was good. I was never so proud. I was contributing to the youth of America! Here I was, helping to mold the cognitive mind of young people, when he hit me with the full brunt of the social experiment gone wrong: public schooling and moronic adult behavior.

The trump card. The teenager said,

"But his middle name is Hussein. Come on. You gotta admit, that is a really good point."

Well. Clearly, I was defeated.

Never was I so sure my own children would be educated by nuns. Sister Mary Hussein, no less.

No comments: